INTERVIEW WITH NATTIE O SHEGZY

With an exclusive Interview with Nattie O' O'Sheggzy, one of Nigeria's foremost and internationally acclaimed poet, Natties interview defines the invaluable words of a promising gentleman that strives to promote world peace.
My nom de clavier is NATTY O'SHEGGZY, which is a clever coinage of my real name. I decided to adopt a pen name when some persons where feeling uncomfortable with some of the things I wrote. To begin with, I was born in the 70s in Lagos State but I am a native of Osun State. I graduated from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State. I read Geography and won all the three awards in the department, including the Best Student in the Department, upon graduation. I also attended Federal School of Surveying, Oyo. I graduated with a Professional Diploma in Surveying and Geoinformatics in 2003. I am presently a servant of my nation who is most passionate about writing his name into literary posterity. My dream is to win the Nobel prize for literature one day. To some this may sound outlandish but as far as I am concerned it is doable..
2. MY FEELING ON MY POEM WINNING
To be modest, I have always considered myself a winning poet. Although it is late before I burst into the social media with my poems, I have been writing poems, short stories, etc since I was in the secondary school. The feedbacks I got had always been positive. So I feel that my poem Metamorphosis winning the best poem for the month of April, 2019 is a confirmation of the thinking of people who have had the opportunity to read my works.

Let me use this medium to show my heartfelt appreciation to the founder and administrators of League Of POETS for considering Metamorphosis deserving of the award. My feeling is that the reward for hard work should be more work. Therefore, the noteworthy award will surely spur me to strive to be better in my art.
3. MEAN OF LIFE
To me life is that hiatus between birth and death. This length of time between the two most important events in the life of man plays itself out in different ways.
What humans do in the intervening period will determine how they will be remembered. I think what is most important in life is the courage one brings to bear  in being positive and helping the greatest number of people in the greatest number of ways one can. Life is whatever you call it. Like an elephant, you can only define life from the point where you are standing in the forest.
For me, I wish life can bring smiles on the faces of human beings but Nature doesn't play this way. Each man needs carry his cross and trundle along the journey of life, depending on the weight of the cross and the resilience of the weight bearer..
4. MY INSPIRATION
When I was in in Junior Secondary School, I was always weekly selected to participate in the school debate. When I got to the Senior Secondary School, I was made the Social Prefect. The responsibilities of organising the literary and debating activities fell on my shoulders. So I was fully involved, with no option but to get more involved in planning and executing the various schedule of activities.

Also, when I was in  the Senior Secondary School class1, my English teacher, who also happened to be my paternal uncle gave us an essay to write, because I had been reading novels belonging to my father (who was also a teacher) I was able to come tops in the essays. Since then Pa Jacob Gbadegeshin Olalude (of blessed memory) took interest in mentoring and tutoring me. He was my first source of inspiration.

When I began to write, I came across a poem A Shuttle in the Crypt by Wole Soyinka. This poem so made an an impression on my young mind that I decided that I would strive to be a poet in the mould of Soyinka

Another writer that greatly inspired me is Henry James. I first came across him through a five-part biographical series written by Leon Edel. His discrimination of the literary prowess and weaknesses of Henry made me to look for his literary works, especially his short stories.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post